A few suggestions I have so far
Omar Alzayed last edited by
First off, thank you for a wonderful platform and even better support.
While I've been using BrainCloud I have written down a few suggestions. If some are already implemented, then I was not aware of them. Here's what I got:
- Search through all cloud code. It would be very useful to be able to search through all cloud code to find certain variables / RunScript calls.
- Categorize scripts (folders?).
- Viewing a group from the group entities tab, still allows me to delete it. This can inadvertently cause users to delete a group, thinking they’re actually deleting the entity for that group.
- To add to 3, it would be nice to be able to delete/edit a group entity from explorer, and not just view it.
- A bridge.logDebug function that doesn’t require a second parameter and just assumes null.
- Is it possible to make “Quick Authenticate” authenticate using the last entered credentials? I keep having to go back to API explorer and authenticate then go back to script editor. Or maybe add another “Quick Authenticate” option/setting, if the current approach is still needed.
- A way to mark a line of code, so I can go back to it quickly when I’m jumping through code (cloud code editor).
- Retrieve players by running their entities against custom script. For example let's say there's a player entity called profile that has numerous entries. I would love to be able to retrieve a list of players who match my search criteria through that entity's entries.
Thank you again,
Great suggestions - thanks for sending these in.
- Search through all cloud code. Agreed - would definitely be useful.
- Categorizing scripts (folders) - we definitely want to give some love to script management. I think we're more likely to go with folders (rather than categories), because we'd eventually like to allow you to easily edit scripts via our editor or a local editor on your workstation - and thus, folders are a better fit for that.
- Group Entities confusing - You are absolutely correct there. I'm going to see if I can revector some web resources over there.
- A bridge.logDebug function that doesn’t require a second parameter and just assumes null - I'd like that too!
- Quick Authenticate enhancements - hmm, might be something we can do there... agreed that it would be useful
- A way to mark a line of code, so I can go back to it quickly when I’m jumping through code (cloud code editor) - Interesting, will give it some thought.
- Retrieve players by running their entities against custom script. Interesting, I'll give that some thought. Would it be fair to say that those user's entities would have to have their ACL set to other: 1 so it's readable?
Thanks so much for the feedback. And glad you are liking brainCloud!
Retrieve players by running their entities against custom script.
Few more suggestions/questions:
Forum right now is basically hidden, should be visible on the main website.
To find it I had to got main website> blog> https://getbraincloud.com/apidocs/forums-are-live/
Are you guys bringing intellisense/autocomplete to the editor anytime soon?
Would be possible to optimize Unity SDK by adding ASMDEF files to it?
Would be great if Unity SDK would use Unity JSON lib instead of the others you guys using, we are making webgl games and those Json libs you guys use are taking a bunch of weight.
Add the ability to pass extra data to api hooks, right now I have an external authentication via google (not google play) then when user authenticates I wanted to update their user information (email, profile url etc) with google data to do so I had to do it with a post hook but within the post hook I have call google api again because I cannot access/pass the data from the external auth script.
Forums right now are basically hidden - yeah, you aren't the first to comment on that. We're doing some work on our main site - we'll try to give it some placement. That said, it is available in multiple places in the portal too - via the DOCS menu and the Team | Home | Start page
Would it be possible to optimize Unity SDK by adding ASMDEF files to it? - Good question. I'll put it to our devs...
Would be great if Unity SDK would use Unity JSON lib - I know that when we were first developing our Unity libs that the JSON libraries included with Unity didn't include the features that we needed. Not sure when the devs last evaluated things... I'll ask.
Add the ability to pass extra data to api hooks - we are actually developing a solution for the scenario you mention that builds upon the session cache that we added in 4.0. It will essentially allow you to cache objects during external authentication that will then be available to scripts in the auto post-hook (and later as well).
Hope that helps. Keep those suggestions coming!
Follow-up on the included libraries...
- Confirmed with my folks that we are including the JsonFx library - and that's largely because we support both Unity and pure C# libs, and that gives us single-source between both (important for a small team)
- We were still including the LitJson library as well - which we actually aren't using anymore, but we have some customers who are, so we were doing it not to break them. That said, this is 4.0, and they can always include it themselves - so we'll be issuing a patch that removes that lib... (once all of our tests pass of course - wouldn't want some hidden dependency to foul things up).
In regards to the libs you point out in your post - system.dll, mscorlib.dll, etc - those seem like something that Unity is now including by default for .Net 4.x compatibility? Are you sure our libs are causing them to be included?
Does that make sense?
e you sure our libs are causing them to be included?
@Paul-Winterhalder thanks for your quick reply, about that image sorry about that I didn't meant all the libraries in there.
I setup the asmdef files myself here and works like a charm but I guess that would interfere with your pure C# libs? if that's the case maybe just put everything on dlls?
Omar Alzayed last edited by
. Would it be fair to say that those user's entities would have to have their ACL set to other: 1 so it's readable?
Yes, that would be the case.